Skin Cancer Treatment in Orlando, FL
Dermatologist in Dr. Phillips Area
Goodless Dermatology provides a full range of services focusing on skin cancer diagnostics and treatment. Qualified and caring staff, modern equipment, and convenient location are here at your disposal.
If you’re worried you may have skin cancer, don’t hesitate to see a specialist. For patients in the Orlando area, Dr. Dean Goodless and the team at Goodless Dermatology are here to help. To get an accurate diagnosis and start treatment if necessary, give us a call at (407) 566-1616 or book an appointment through our secure online form. We have two state-of-the-art dermatology clinics conveniently located in Dr. Phillips and Celebration.
Here is a piece of basic information on skin cancer that might be useful to provide a general view of this disease and help you to decide whether you have to schedule a consultation.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation,
Skin cancer is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal skin cells. It occurs when unrepaired DNA damage to skin cells (most often caused by ultraviolet radiation from sunshine or tanning beds) triggers mutations, or genetic defects, that lead the skin cells to multiply rapidly and form malignant tumors.
Who’s At Risk for Skin Cancer?
- People over the age of 50
- People who live in sun-rich regions or have jobs that require extended sun exposure
- People who have a large number of postoperative scars, large pigment spots or moles
- People with the impairment of immune system
- Caucasian people with blond hair and eyes or albinos
- People who have already underwent skin cancer treatment
- People with family history of skin cancer
- Frequent visitors to solariums and/or beaches
- People who had 1 or more severe sunburn
- People whose work requires frequent contacts with harsh chemicals
- People who work near radioactive equipment
Types of Skin Cancer
There are three major types of skin cancers: basal cell carcinoma (BCC), squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), and melanoma. The first two skin cancers are grouped together as non-melanoma skin cancers. Other unusual types of skin cancer include Merkel cell tumors and dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans.
Types of Pre-Cancer
Pre-cancerous lesions can potentially turn into malignancies. It is very important to diagnose and treat them early to avoid possible complications.
Most common types of pre-cancers are actinic keratoses and dysplastic nevi (moles).
Skin Cancer Diagnostics
If melanoma is diagnosed, other tests may be ordered to assess the degree of cancer spread (metastasis). They include:
- Imaging. Your doctor will order one or more tests to look for metastasis. They include CT scan, MRI, PET scan, bone scan, and chest X-ray.
- Other biopsies. Using a variety of techniques, your doctor may want to get tissue samples from lymph nodes.
- Skin growths that are most likely basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, or other forms of non-melanoma can be biopsied in various ways. Part or all of the growth can be taken with a scalpel for examination under a microscope.
Skin Cancer Treatment in Celebration, FL
In accordance with the diagnosed stage of the disease, there are several standard treatments for skin cancer:
- Mohs micrographic surgery
- Excisional surgery
- Photodynamic therapy
- Laser surgery
- Superficial Radiotherapy (SRT)
- Topical medications
- Healthy lifestyle choices malignancies – plan to do outdoor activities before 10AM or after 4PM
- Seeing your dermatologist once a year for preventive examination
- Immediately reporting any new or changing moles or skin lesions
- Timely treatment of precancerous conditions
- Controlled sun exposure – a broad brimmed hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen should be used
- Following safety precautions when working with radiation sources
- Maintaining personal hygiene when interacting with household chemicals.
Schedule a Skin Cancer Consultation in Orlando, FL
Do not hesitate to contact our office as soon as possible in case you’ve noticed anything suspicious on your skin. Early detection and treatment is the key to success! Dermatologist Dean Goodless, MD has extensive experience treating and diagnosing patients with skin cancer and he may be able to help you, too. Contact Goodless Dermatology today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Goodless in Orlando or Celebration. Our new Orlando office offers state-of-the-art skin cancer treatment and is located in the Dr. Phillips area. Contact us today at (407) 566-1616 to get started, or book an appointment through our secure online form.